A place for honest, straightforward immigration advice

Can I help my sibling get their green card?

On Behalf of | Mar 7, 2023 | Immigration Law |

If you have a sibling who is not a citizen of the United States, you might wonder how to help them achieve permanent residence in this country. After maybe going through the process yourself or hearing other stories about the hardships of immigration, you likely want to help your loved one through the complex and time-consuming process.

As a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR), you can sponsor your sibling for a green card and help them work towards citizenship.

How can I sponsor my sibling?

Sponsoring your sibling happens via the F4 family-based category green card. You must complete and file an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative and include supporting documents. The filing date of this paperwork with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will become your sibling’s “priority date.” The priority date determines when your sibling can apply for the green card after approval of their I-130 Petition.

The United States Department of State releases a monthly list that shows that month’s visa availability. When it comes time for your sibling to apply for the visa, they can submit Form DS-260, including any supporting evidence and documents, to the National Visa Center.

Next comes a medical exam and an interview with a USCIS officer. If your sibling meets all requirements, they will get an F4 immigrant visa.

Can I apply for my step-sibling or half-sibling?

As a United States citizen, you can also sponsor your half-siblings and step-siblings for their green cards. In the case of a step-sibling, you can elect to sponsor them as long as you have a familial relationship with them before your eighteenth birthday.

Overall, it is possible for you to help your sibling obtain a green card and the process can end up feeling rewarding for both of you.